Monday, August 24, 2015

Learn to Make Harissa

Harissa is used Tunisia cooking,(Its located in North Africa) its a very versatile condiment that will change your kitchen experience.

Lately I have been all about the condiments, whole grain mustards, homemade jalapeño jelly, chutneys, relish, spice blends, infused olive oils and I could go on and on. These are so great to have on hand and make your cooking go by so much faster not to mention they take your food to the next level. 

Harissa is one of my favorites because it is so versatile, throw it with grilled pork chops, or shrimp or mussels or stir into any soup even in your vegetables. Its got that nice kick to it too.

2 Sprigs of fresh thyme 
1/2 Tsp coriander
1/2 Tsp cumin
1/2 Tsp caraway seeds
2Tbs of fresh lime juice
3-4 garlic cloves
1 shallot
1/2 cup Olive oil 
1Tbs tomato paste
3-5 red chillies 
(be sure and remove the seeds, as those are what makes them so hot)
Feel free to try different kinds of peppers based off of what you like, like Thai Chilies or red chili pepper and mix them up as well)

If you are using larger peppers like red chili peppers, charr the skin either under the broiler, or if you have gas, let it sit directly on the burner till the skin is charred. Then place in a bowl and wrap with plastic wrap air tight. When they are cool, simply rub the skin off, I recommend wearing gloves if you have them. 

Saute your garlic, shallots and peppers (if using small ones like Thai chillies) in some oil until translucent. Then add your spices until aromatic then add the tomato paste.

Add into a blender with your peppers you have charred add your lime juice and the rest of your olive oil while blending it all together until smooth.

This will change every dish you make. You will start marinating your chicken in harissa or throw it in your meatloaf, its THAT good!

Happy cooking!

5 comments:

  1. I am going to make this because I have some red chili peppers in my garden that I don't know what to do with. They are super super hot. I am confused on if I should char them. You said " If you are using larger peppers like red chili peppers," are the ones to char. My red chilli peppers are about the size of my middle finger. Is that big? Should I char these or leave them alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And... I have been trying to figure out how to upload pictures in the comments so you can see what I make. I don't think I can. Or I don't know how. If you want to see my wonderful disasters please let me know how to upload photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No need to char little peppers! They are so small and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The charring was meant for larger peppers, just be sure to remove the seeds.

    ReplyDelete