Monday, June 15, 2015

Pesto

I've started a garden for the first time, so I'm having to come up with twelve different ideas and ways to use basil, tomatoes and cucumbers. Life could be worse.

So as I mentioned I'm growing basil and Holy Basil, so I figured this would be a good time to show you how to make simple pesto. Pesto is so great because you can spread it on sandwiches or - like I'm doing - toss it with some pasta.


For this recipe you will need a processor. You could try a blender, but I recommend a processor.

What you need:

4 cups of fresh basil (about 2 bunches)
Maybe try parsley or a cilantro pesto for tacos.




1/2 cup of toasted pine nuts 
I actually substituted walnuts - play around and try your favorite nuts for a flavor you will love. 

1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Again, use Asiago or Pecorino - just be sure to use a hard cheese.



1-2 garlic cloves

1/2 cup olive oil 
(Refer back to my post on olive oils.)



salt and pepper






I served mine up with some sautéed chicken.




Simply garnish with some fresh grated cheese, maybe throw some tomatoes in there and call it a meal. 

Thanks for reading. Don't forget I LOVE answering any questions you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment